Our team at Capstone North recently enjoyed a fun day Sunday, the weather was great and lots of carers attended alongside their families. Gavin, a Teacher who supports children at Capstone, shares his summary of the day below.
Denshaw village hall was transformed into a centre of activity for several hours. There was an outdoor climbing wall, a penalty shoot-out with a lion called Brian, cupcake decorating, giant Jenga, meerkats, owls, snakes a DJ, a tombola and lucky dip. Not to mention face painting, hand massages, balloon modelling, an inflatable assault course and a bouncy castle! Perhaps even more incredibly, the sun shone for the entire afternoon and we didn’t get a drop of rain.
The event was a great chance for young people, carers and staff to meet for the first time or to catch up with those they already knew. There was an impressive turnout of people from all areas covered by Capstone North, including a minibus that travelled over from Barnsley.
There were many highlights from the day and, if you came, you’ll undoubtedly have your own. Here are my personal top 5.
- Seeing colleagues in a new light. For example, I never knew that Alison was not only a hand masseur but also an expert goal keeper! If she agrees to play for England, I think Joe Hart is in trouble.
- Seeing various fearless young people climbing the wall. Once I get above a couple of metres, I start feeling a bit wobbly so I was impressed by the climbing skills on display.
- The way people came and got stuck into the activities. Everyone was there to participate and have a good time and they did both with enthusiasm!
- I had my photo taken with a goal-keeping lion. How often can you say that?
- Seeing people chatting and laughing together and new friendships developing – which is what the whole day was about wasn’t it?
We’d love to hear your top moments too!
Well done to all those who worked so hard organising the day. You did a brilliant job!